Sunday, March 06, 2011

Day 55 - Good and Best

I love the story of Mary and Martha. I am planner and want things to be just right. Right now I am planning two birthday parties and just finished a baby shower. I want everyone to enjoy themselves.

I have learned that with the proper PREparations, I can enjoy the fellowship at the gathering.  If there is still much to do during the gathering, then I find myself missing out on the company of the guests.

At church, I have been serving on the activities committee. We plan for our annual block party, which is a time we fellowship with our community.  However, I sometimes feel that we are making preparations for us, the church, and not our guests.  We lose touch with why we are doing what we're doing.

I think we are guilty of that in our Christian service. Or maybe I am the only one. We have a plan for what we want out of our service, but we lose sight of Jesus in the process. It no longer is about Him.  Everything we do should be for Him. To bring honor and glory to him.

On a side note, I totally crack up at her telling Jesus to make Mary get in the kitchen and help her. Aren't we like that sometimes....giving Jesus orders?  Oh, how he laughs at us and then puts us in our place when we do!

May we never lose sight that we are serving him in heart, soul, attitude, and deed.

1 comment:

  1. I love the story of Mary and Martha. I am a Martha for sure and it can be a very annoying thing....both to others and my own self!!!!! It is very easy to loose touch with the real reasons that we do what we do...This lesson was a great reminder.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by. I hope in some way I have blessed you. I look forward to reading your comment. I may not always get the chance to respond, but I do read every comment.