Thursday, March 17, 2011

Day 67 - Too Good for Your Own Good?

At school, our students have behavior sheets.  On the first day of school, we go over the sheet to let the students know that if they do the things on that sheet, then they will get a mark.  A mark is not good.  At the end of the week, students get a conduct grade based on their behavior.  This week, I have marked sheets for sleeping in class, disrupting class, talking while the teacher was talking, and stealing.  My own personal child got a mark on his sheet today. He was talking while the teacher was talking.  Regardless of what is marked on the behavior sheet, I still love my students (and my own child). 

I am so glad that God doesn't grade us on a behavior sheet.

You know, I think I am pretty good person.  I try to obey God the very best that I can.  I try to keep His commandments. 

I think back to the questions that Beth Moore asked with this scripture/lesson.  I had to laugh because as "the certain ruler" said he had kept those commandments from his youth, he seemed to be saying he was pretty much perfect.  Oh, if that were only true.  I have to admit that I have not kept those commandments from my youth.  The best one, probably the one that I talk to my own children and students about is Honor thy father and thy mother. Can you say smart mouth and roll your eyes? 

The fact of the matter is that we are not perfect, no matter how hard we try to be.  I stress this to my students who just break down in tears when they get a behavior sheet mark.  I tell them, "It is just one mark, you made a mistake.  We learn from our mistakes and move on."  As Christians, we do that as well.  Make a mistake and learn from it. 

Beth Moore did talk about being different, something we have discussed often within this study.  Christians are to be different, not better. We are to stand out.  She wanted to know how do with do this without being consumed by sinful pride.  I think we just have to always remember that we are not perfect, just forgiven.  We must continually humble ourselves, admit our faults and failures, and let God have his way in our lives.  We we keep Him in the center of our lives, we will be focused on obeying and serving him.

I want to be a good person. I try to be a good person. Most importantly, I aim to be the Christian woman God has planned for me. That will bring him honor and glory.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by. I hope in some way I have blessed you. I look forward to reading your comment. I may not always get the chance to respond, but I do read every comment.