Sunday, February 06, 2011

Day 28 - Compassion Without Restraint

"In the day of my trouble I will call upon You,
For You will answer me.
You, O Lord, are a God full of compassion."
Psalm 86:7, 15


Oh, how dare Beth Moore ask me why I choose to not show compassion at certain times! But I'm so glad she did!!!

Honestly, sometimes it just isn't convenient for me. Isn't that sad?  Time. Money. Someone else could do a better job. Those are other excuses we I don't show compassion. Take for instance this story:

Imagine your child was sick way out in the county.  You leave work early to go pickup your child. On the way there, you come up on an accident.  You slow down because there are no emergency vehicles there.  As you get closer, you see there are some responders.  A woman is on her cell phone.  The wreck doesn't look that bad. As you consider whether or not to stop, you see a person you recognize as emergency personnel although he is obviously off duty.  You think, "He can handle it," and move on. 

Yes, that is a true story. I chose not to stop.

I had a sick child.

I was in a hurry to get to him.

I wanted to get back home to see my husband before his lunch break was over.

I thought the wreck didn't look that bad. Those in the accident were moving about.

I did recognize that one person on the scene was an off duty emergency responder. I felt he could handle the situation much better than I could. That was after all his job.

It was my choice to stop or go. I chose to go. I had plenty of excuses not to stop, not to show compassion.

I thank God that He shows compassion in all he does.  He doesn't make a choice based on how busy he is. He has the ability to do whatever he wants and he shows us compassion based on what he knows is best for us, not based on what we want and is convenient for us. How thankful I am that when I call out, He hears and answers.  God is indeed full of compassion.  Jesus is the ultimate example of compassion and love. I have so much to learn.

1 comment:

  1. I too have made that same choice with the same reasons. I think sometimes, fear keeps us from really doing something we know we should do. We can come up with a lot of reasons not to do something.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by. I hope in some way I have blessed you. I look forward to reading your comment. I may not always get the chance to respond, but I do read every comment.