Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Our Story



This week, Women of Faith wants to hear about our love stories.  So, here is the story of our love.

Jeffrey and I met when we were teenagers through my cousin.  We exchanged glances and smiles.  Eventually, I would try calling him (or have a girlfriend do it), but never leave a name.  Time passed and we began to see more and more of each other. On April 15, 1991, we started dating (officially - because my friend Brandy wanted to know when he was going to ask me to "go with him," and so he asked me). 

Throughout high school, we went through the typical teenage drama, however, we always found our way back to each other.  I attended Jeffrey's junior and senior prom with him and watched as he graduated from high school.  He attended my junior and senior proms with me and then watched as I graduated from high school. We attended college together (although he should have been graduating soon after I started).

In June of 1998, I went on vacation with Jeffrey and his family to Florida.  After carrying our luggage to our room, we rushed down to the beach to watch the sunset (one of our favorite things to do).  While sitting there in a beach chair, Jeffrey proposed to me.  I couldn't believe it.  We had been dating for so long and I couldn't believe it was finally happening.  Then in October 1999, we were married.  It was one of the most amazing days of my life, a prayer answered, a dream come true.

Jeffrey and I knew we wanted to have a family. I always said I wanted 3 kids (2 boys and a girl - well, the 3 kids part happened, just no girl yet).  In July of 2002, we welcomed our first son, Colin.  After he arrived and it was just the 3 of us, it seemed as if it had always been that way. 

It was important to us to raise Colin (and any other children we were thinking of having) in church.  We didn't attend church regularly as children and teenagers, but we knew it was something we wanted for our family.  After attending a rather large church, we became regulars at Calvary Baptist Church.  Right before Colin turned 2 years old, the church was having a baby dedication and we decided we wanted to participate in that with Colin.  Not knowing exactly what we would need to do, I visited our pastor.  We talked about the baby dedication and he asked me if I had ever received Jesus as my personal Savior.  I admitted that I hadn't and after talking with Bro. Copass, I made the decision to open my heart and surrender my life to Jesus.  As I drove away from his office, I made a phone call, I called my husband to tell him of what had just happened.  The following Sunday after dedicating our son to the Lord, I walked down the aisle of the church to make my public profession of faith and join the church.  Following me was my husband.  I had tapped his shoulder to let me pass, but God had pushed him down the aisle as well.  A few weeks later, we were baptized together in front of our family and friends.

After we became Christians, our lives were forever changed.  We became actively involved in our church and community.  We have been blessed with two more sons, Carson and Carter.  Jeffrey has even surrendered to the ministry (he will be attending Chaplain school very soon).

Jeffrey was my first love.  We shared many firsts together. Can you believe my he took me to my first concert when we were dating (KISS in Atlanta).  No matter what we went through in those 7 years of dating, God kept us together.  He led us to believe that we were meant for each other.  I can see that God has been there with us through everything. This year will be our 11th year of marriage and we are still learning about each other. We still make each other laugh and honestly, when I'm with Jeffrey, I still get butterflies in my stomach, just like that giddy teenage girl I used to be. As Christians, we have put God at the center of our marriage.  We wouldn't be where we are today without him.  And so, because of Him, our love story continues.

Click here to view other Women of Faith Wednesday entires.


5 comments:

  1. How cool is that! I love that God led both of you to Him through your sweet baby. Great love story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet! and KISS how fun!

    Thanks for sharing and joining the hop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your story! May He continue to richly bless!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by. I hope in some way I have blessed you. I look forward to reading your comment. I may not always get the chance to respond, but I do read every comment.