Monday, February 01, 2010

The Woman I Want to Be

I'm a sucker for a good love song. I guess that is why I like country music so well. There is nothing like a man pouring his heart out in song to reach the woman he loves.

There is a song by country artist Chris Young called The Man I Want to Be. Have you heard it? The first time I heard it, I saw the video: this guy and his girl have split and he talks to a stranger about it. The stranger convinced him to go around back and give "God a call." I really liked it. This morning, the video was back on, and I focused more on the lyrics than the story in the video.

The chorus says,

I wanna be a good man
A 'do like I should' man
I wanna be the kind of man the mirror likes to see
I wanna be a strong man
And admit that I was wrong, man
God I'm asking you to come change me
To the man I wanna be

As a I think about those words, I think, "You know, that's what I want. I want to be a good woman, a do like I should woman, the kind of woman the mirror likes to see. I want to be a strong woman, but an admit that I was wrong woman. Each day, I ask God to change me to the woman I need to be."

Its one of those things where you have to be careful what you ask God for, or you just might get it. Some people are "happy" with themselves for the simple fact that they aren't willing to admit they are wrong or need to change. It is easier to find faults in others than ourselves.


Matthew 7:4 says How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye?

Lots of times we are eager to help change other people, point out their faults and imperfections, but how dare someone do that to us.

I remember back in high school, I found out a friend of mine had asked her Sunday School class to pray for me. I was furious. I felt that she had betrayed me, afterall, there was nothing wrong with me. Years later, I sent my friend a note telling her "thank you" for praying for me. There was something wrong with me. I wasn't a Christian. I was failing to admit my sins and open my heart to Jesus. Now, it is so easy for me to say, "I am wrong" or "God, I am nothing without you." When I do that, He can change me and make me the woman I need to be.

Last year when I did the Esther Bible study with some wonderful ladies, one thing we talked about was why it is tough to be a woman. We all agreed that we have to be so many things to so many people. As part of my prayer, I ask God to make me the wife I need to be, the mom I need to be, the daughter I need to be, the teacher I need to be, the friend I need to be. We may think that to be all of those things, we have to have different personas, but that isn't true. When we allow God to change us to the women (or men) that we need to be, He molds us into the Christians we need to be. When we are the Christians He wants us to be, we can then be the mom, husband, wife, son, dad, daughter, friend we need to be. As we are asking to become the men and women we need to be, we need to be sure that our hearts are in the right place. If we ask just to get something we want, our prayers won't be answered.

God will never be completely finished with us. So, each day, I will sing....
I wanna be a good woman
A 'do like I should' woman
I wanna be the kind of woman the mirror likes to see
I wanna be a strong woman
And admit that I was wrong, woman
God I'm asking you to come change me
To the woman I wanna be


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by. I hope in some way I have blessed you. I look forward to reading your comment. I may not always get the chance to respond, but I do read every comment.