Sunday, January 23, 2011

Day 14 - Waist Deep in Glory

I knew about Him.  I didn't know Him.

Up until that point, I had never met Him, although He had been with me all my life.

I was at a revival at a small country church in Allen County. I don't recall the name of the church or the pastor's name.  I was a guest of my friend Holly.  She worked with Jeffrey and she and I became friends and her husband was friends with mine.  Holly sang Amazing Grace.  As she sang, I remember thinking "I want that."  Tears began to flow as the Lord's invitation was given.  My heart wanted to go forward, but my body wouldn't move.  There was a voice laughing at me. "You are so stupid. What are you thinking?  These people don't know you and you don't know them.  They are going to think you're crazy if you go up there."

The fact of the matter was I was face to face to Jesus that evening and Satan pulled me away.

I was unworthy of what Jesus had to offer me that night, I knew it and Satan knew it. 

When Colin was almost 2, we started attending Calvary fairly regularly.  In June of 2004, the church was preparing for their baby dedication.  Although Colin wasn't really considered a baby at that point, I wanted to still participate with him, but wasn't sure if we could. 

I had been trying to get ahold of Bro. Copass at the church office, but he was never in when I called.  Well, the Friday before the dedication service, I was in town running some errands.  I was near the post office and thought that I would drive by the church to talk to the pastor, but this little voice kept telling me it was a waste of time, that he wouldn't be there anyway.  Another little voice (yes, I was hearing voices :) ) encouraged me to go on over; it wasn't that far, and he might be there.  There seemed to be a battle going on, and now looking back, I know it was a battle for my soul.

Bro. Copass was there, and as we chatted about the baby dedication, he asked me the question of questions: Was I saved?  I was ashamed and embarrassed.  Hear I was wanting to dedicate my child to the Lord, to raise him for HIM, and I didn't have a relationship with Jesus myself.  Immediately, the tears began to flow, and Bro. Copass knew my answer.  He lead me through the sinners prayer, and as I prayed, I felt Jesus there with me. I felt him lift the burden of my sins off of me.  He held me as I cried out to Him. 

At that moment, I was in His glory.

I was unworthy.
I was filled with shamed.
I was in my sins.

Yet, He loved me and saved me anyway.

I will never be worthy.
I will still do things that will cause me (and Him) shame.
I will still sin.
I do not deserve the grace He has given me.

Yet, I am forever thankful.

Thankful that He revealed himself to me in that small country church.
Thankful that He didn't give up on me.
Thankful that He won the war of words that Friday.
Thankful that He saved my soul.

The story does not end there however.  That Sunday, we dedicated Colin in front of our family and friends.  During the invitation, I tapped my husband on the shoulder to let me out of the pew so I could make my profession of faith, to let the church know that I had met Jesus and surrendered my life to Him.  As I slid past my husband, God nudged him to follow.  Then and there, my husband surrendered his life to Jesus and was saved.  What a joyous day for our family!  Our lives have not been the same since. 

I have seen the hand of God at work in my life and in the lives of others.  We are not worthy of the work He has done and will do. We are not worthy of His love.  For many, this is a good reason to not seek a relationship with Him.  However, our unworthiness is the reason we need a relationship with Him.  We all need to find ourselves waist deep in his Glory, not just on the day of our salvation, but each day of our lives.








4 comments:

  1. I enjoyed Beth Moore's description of the thoughts of John the Baptist. The part when he felt unworthy to baptize Jesus is how we have all felt at one time or another. Unworthy of his love. Unworthy to have any personal relationship with. When she said," I felt the heartbeat of the Son of God." I could imagine my hands on his back and chest feeling that soft thumpity thump. Tears welled up in my eyes. Just to marvel in that most important moment. As true believers I feel with every beat of our heart that also is the beat of Jesus's for he is always with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Natasha, I can relate to the feeling of being torn to stay in your seat in the pew or to move forward. I have felt the same feeling, the wild beating of my heart. It's so hard to open our hearts in front of others, fearing embarrassment. Isn't it crazy that Satan can have so much control over us when there is nothing to be nervous about when you are giving your life to God. I love you story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Beth Moore's descriptions of John's thoughts, too. She has a way of making you think about the fact that these were real people just like us with the same thoughts and feelings, the same hopes and fears we all have. This study is really helping me reflect on that. And Natasha, thank you for sharing your story. It brought tears to my eyes. There's just something about hearing or watching someone make their commitment to Jesus. I cry every time. I think back about how I felt just after I was saved at age 15. God is so good to us. We are so unworthy of what He has given us, but He loves us so much and gives us so much more than we could ask or imagine. i think about the words to one of my favorite songs called Come to Jesus.....by Chris Rice I think:

    Weak and wounded sinner
    Lost and left to die
    O, raise your head, for love is passing by
    Come to Jesus
    Come to Jesus
    Come to Jesus and live!

    Now your burden's lifted
    And carried far away
    And precious blood has washed away the stain, so
    Sing to Jesus
    Sing to Jesus
    Sing to Jesus and live!

    And like a newborn baby
    Don't be afraid to crawl
    And remember when you walk
    Sometimes we fall...so
    Fall on Jesus
    Fall on Jesus
    Fall on Jesus and live!

    Sometimes the way is lonely
    And steep and filled with pain
    So if your sky is dark and pours the rain, then
    Cry to Jesus
    Cry to Jesus
    Cry to Jesus and live!

    O, and when the love spills over
    And music fills the night
    And when you can't contain your joy inside, then
    Dance for Jesus
    Dance for Jesus
    Dance for Jesus and live!

    And with your final heartbeat
    Kiss the world goodbye
    Then go in peace, and laugh on Glory's side, and
    Fly to Jesus
    Fly to Jesus
    Fly to Jesus and live!

    Life with God is so full of irony at least to our human minds. We DIE to ourselves and LIVE with Jesus. Here's to REAL life, the often unseen and quiet moments that change our hearts, give us strength and help us do God's work in this life He has given to us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So amazing.....I am doing this Bible study in a doctor's office and I am listening right now to a man leading a total stranger to Christ. Now that's REAL life.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by. I hope in some way I have blessed you. I look forward to reading your comment. I may not always get the chance to respond, but I do read every comment.