Sunday, January 13, 2013

I Love Sunday School

Fix these words of mine in your hearts and minds; tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads.  Teach them to your children, talking about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.  Write them on the door frames of your houses and on your gates. Deuteronomy 11:18-20

When Jeff and I first joined our church, our pastor's wife began a new Sunday school class. It was specifically for those like us: young couples/parents/singles with children.  We were all in our early to mid twenties. There were a few already in their 30's, but for the most part, we were all in the same boat.

Being involved in that Sunday school class was is such a blessing to us.  We were able to build some amazing friendships.  We were able to gain confidence in our knowledge of God's Word. We were able to begin our journey of getting deeply involved in our church and reaching others for Christ.

VBS leaders and teachers
Sunday School assistant director
Sunday school teachers
Missions
Children's ministries
Nursery cooridinators and volunteers
Choir members
Bible studies
Youth minister
Music
Community outreach
Deacons
Associate pastor
Committee members

Those are just some of the many activities that our group is involved in.  I don't think we would be as involved as we are if Glenda had not started that class.  She took us in as her children. She taught us. Loved us. She laughed with us and cried with us.  We cried with her too.  For so many of us, we were new Christians. We could have easily came for the morning service each week and eventually quit like so many do.  But God provided for us through this class.

Glenda gave Jeff and I the opportunity to be her substitutes.  Eventually, the class became our responsibility. We have met in the library, a downstairs class, the fellowship hall, and an upstairs class. We have had full classes, and we have had classes where Jeff and I were the only ones to show.  Regardless, we have had this connection with an amazing group of people. I am grateful for them. I love them all.

This morning it was so nice to be gathered around the table with our regulars and some "old" regulars.  I love how I can plan a lesson and feel that I don't get it, only to actually be taught by my classmates during Sunday school.  I love how when we read God's Word and share our experiences that God reaches out to us on a personal level.  I love how God can give me the words that someone in the group needs to hear.  We can hear and read the same words, but God tells us something different through them.  It may be the nudge we need. It may be the answer to the question we had. It may be the "ah ha" moment we were looking for to pull things together.

I guess you can say....

I love Sunday school.

If you are not involved in a Sunday school class, I really encourage you to find one that you can grow in.  If your church does not offer one for those in your peer group, pray about starting your own.  Studying God's Word is never a mistake.  You will grow so much. Don't worry if you don't know the answers, there are teacher's guides to guide you, curricula to use.  Don't worry if you don't know how to pronounce every name and place.  I'll give you a hint, the others in your group won't know the difference.  And there is a little thing on dictionary.com that pronounces the word for you.  There is the Bible on CD. How do I know these tricks? Experience!

Will you be there next Sunday?

We should not stop gathering together with other believers, as some of you are doing. Instead, we must continue to encourage each other even more as we see the day of the Lord coming. Hebrews 10:25

What has been your experience with Sunday school? I'd love to hear about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by. I hope in some way I have blessed you. I look forward to reading your comment. I may not always get the chance to respond, but I do read every comment.