Sunday, February 15, 2009

Its Tough Being a Woman in a Mean World

Due to our revival this week, we won't be meeting to discuss our study. However, I'm going to post a "few" things and would like you to comment. As you read, think about the power of words.


My overall thought for the week is, "How mean!" We've gone to young women being taken from their families to have a night with a king. That night would determine their future. Also, we learned that young boys from around the kingdom were taken from their families as well to be castrated in order to serve as eunuchs. Then Mordecai basically saves Xerxes life without receiving as much as a "Thank you." Here we are with Haman, the seed of Satan, planning to destroy an entire group of people.


First, I want us to take a look at why Haman was determined to do away with this group of people. We learned that Xerxes had given Haman the highest honor above nobles and that all were to bow to him. However, Mordecai refused. Colossians 3:2 says to make up your mind who you will follow. I think Paul is telling us to decide who you will serve. This in turn will determine our behavior. Mordecai had made up his mind. Its not always easy sticking to your guns.


Who loves a good fight? For Valentine's Day, Jeffrey and I went to our first hockey game. It was great. When the players got rough, everyone started yelling, "FIGHT!" Felt like I was back in high school! Anyway, these guys told Haman about Mordecai to get a reaction from him. They must of known of his temper and how he felt about Jews. Well, it wasn't enough to "get" just Mordecai. It wouldn't do until all Jews were taken care of, so to speak.


I love words. I love how we can use just the right word to express our feelings. We can say, "Oh, Haman was mad at Mordecai," but that doesn't even express it. I teach my kids at school to use the best word. In this case, Haman was filled with wrath. Esther3:5 WRATH. What a strong word. I picture steam coming from the top of Haman's head, the nearest table flying across the room, then his fingers tapping the arm of his chair as he contemplates his next move.


You know, growing up, I heard a lot of expressions. In my Christian walk, as I've feasted on God's word, I've seen those expressions come straight from Him. Ephesians4:26-27 tells us not to go to bed angry. Ever heard that one before? Those verses also tell us not to sin in our anger. WOW! Good advice. I know you and I have never become angry and allowed that anger to control our next step.....

Have you ever noticed how brilliant people like Haman are? They have a way with words. They can convince you of anything. I remember being called into a meeting with a coworker after another meeting several years ago. The principal and her cohort told us what wonderful teachers we were and how we work well with older type students....blah, blah, blah. Basically, they were convincing us that we would do an excellent job at our new location across town. I remember coming out of that meeting really pumped up. They had finally noticed my hard work and saw potential in me to train other teachers. Pretty cool, until I stopped to really take it all in. These smooth talkers were kicking us to the curb. We weren't wanted in that school for whatever reason. The other fourth grade teachers would be taken care of and allowed to stay by being moved down to another grade. Not us. No, those two women had a way with words that made us see the transition as a good thing. It actually turned out pretty good, but I digress.....Words were used by those with a motive to get us to agree to something they wanted. Haman used just the right words to get Xerxes to do what he wanted. These people in your kingdom are different. They don't keep your laws. It is not fitting for the king....If it pleases the king....I will pay....increase the king's treasury....blah, blah, blah. Oh, and we know how difficult it is to convince Xerxes of anything. Remember Vashti?

Proverbs 6:16-19 tells us the six things the Lord hates. To sum it up, Haman. He was a liar, he stirred things up, he devised wicked plans, he wanted to shed innocent blood. Unfortunately, we all know people like this. Haman was so smooth, he got Xerxes' signet ring. With this ring, he had full power. Be careful of anyone with too much power.

One of the ironies I filled in on the PURIM was the correlation of dates. How ironic it was that this decree of total annihilation went out as the Jews were taking part in Passover. They would be reminiscing over their deliverance. I would like to think receiving this decree at this time would cause them to say, "Lord, Father. Here we go again. Evil is after your people. You have never failed us, and Lord, we know in our hearts you won't fail us now." These people must have had HOPE.

The week's study ended in....you guessed it....two drunk guys discussing the events. What is it with people who can stir up trouble and then act like there is nothing going on. When I've hurt someone, I get sick to my stomach. That feeling doesn't go away until I know where I stand with that person. Last week we talked about how we feel when we see the unrelentless succeeding and have the time of their lives. We wonder why those of us who are truly sorry still suffer. We need to be reminded of Daniel 7:9-10 and Hebrews 4:13, Nothing is hidden from God. No matter how hard we try to mask our actions and feelings, He knows and sees all things. We will all be judged by Him.

With all of that being said, here is what I think God is saying to us (me). We aren't as "top dog" as we think we are. We should never put ourselves above others. When we are angered, we should stop and think about what exactly made us angry. Probably, there was a fault found in us and we didn't like it. We need not be hasty in our anger, but allow God to have His judgement. We should seek God in all of our decisions and not base them on what these smooth talkers may tell us. Although we live in a mean world, as children of God, we do not have to be that way.

2 comments:

  1. Finally, Natasha, I am able to put my "two cents worth" in on your blogsite. This lesson was so real to me with all of the "meaness" in the world, and it really made me look at the meaness in myself! In teaching high school students, I teach so much about discrimination and even look at war with a focus on the Holocaust on the senior level. It is easy to say "I don't understand that level of hostility and emotional detachment from one human being for another." Then, when we get to the verses concerning Haman's anger, I have to focus on the "meaness" of anger that can lead one to sin in anger and allow the devil to use it! Oops! I have to look at those times when I feel the ire rise within my own soul and realize that rather than react to that, I have to respond with the help of the Lord.

    I also love the timing of God. I believe that out of the study of this chapter that God wants me to see that in all of the upheaval around me and me family that God has perfect timing. I believe that when someone hurts so deeply one of the people that we love so much, it is hard not to react and even forget that "God is in Control" as Twila Paris sings! Thank God that He is in control instead of this broken imperfect piece of flesh--me!

    Another time maybe I'll respond to some of your comments. I was just so consumed with my own inner voice (or the voice of God) speaking to me. Isn't that the joy of what God does for each of us individually through his word!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved it when Beth Moore wrote, “Life sometimes isn’t pretty. We aren’t plastic ponies and this isn’t pretend. No matter how we sparkle in church or bible study, on earth we still have pain.” I read that and thought how true this is. Years ago when I was going through my divorce, I felt shame, humiliation, and afraid that God would not love me. I can remember my pastor at the time telling me that if I could look into most people’s lives in the congregation; they would all have something they are not proud of. But that God will forgive me if I would just let him. We sometimes need to let go and let God take control of our lives. I have a hard time doing that. I want to hold onto things and see them through. But God doesn’t work that way he wants to work alone and mold our lives according to his purpose (which by the way, is so much more than we could ever have dreamed of); yet we (I) have the hardest time with that. Haman chose to handle things himself. He chose anger over forgiveness, and begin to feel that all Jews were his enemies. He enlisted other people such as the King to make his scheme work. In the end, they even drank to the occasion while others were wailing and mourning for the day of their death. There are people in our world and Simpson County that love to see people suffer. There are people who get jealous of other people’s success and hope that they are there to see them fall from success. It is a mean world. Beth Moore wrote that sometimes God will put “Haman’s” in our lives so we will depend more on him and less on ourselves—to quit being home here (Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind… Romans 12:2). Once again for me it all goes back to trusting God to handle EVERY aspect of my life. I have been a Christian for 32 years and I still think “I” have things under control. I just have to listen for God to speak to me through his word like Esther. “For I know the plans I have for you”, declares the Lord, “Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” Jeremiah 29:11

    Edie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by. I hope in some way I have blessed you. I look forward to reading your comment. I may not always get the chance to respond, but I do read every comment.