Wednesday, January 07, 2015

One Word

Quick tempered, irritable, hot head, easily provoked to anger.

Those aren't very good words, are they?  Unfortunately, they are words that can describe me.

When aggravated, I can become very harsh.  I don't like it. I don't like myself when I am like that.  It is something I have been working on, but recently, I found out I was working on it incorrectly.

I had always thought that lack of patience was my problem.  I prayed about my patience and everything. Nothing.

But then......
During a Sunday School lesson, we were in the middle of discussion when I discovered that my problem was my lack of gentleness.

BAM!  That's it! I lacked gentleness.

That explained the harsh reactions.   I realized after confessing this to my sisters in Christ that I needed to learn to respond instead of react.  When I reacted, I was harsh.  When I responded, I took time to reflect, consider, and then act.

Gentleness.

As 2014 began to come to a close and 2015 was knocking at the door, I began thinking about my One Word....I have worked at being a light to SHINE the love of Jesus to others.  I have worked at being INTENTIONAL in my time and talents. I have learned to better LIVE a life that brings honor and glory to God. With each of these chosen words, I have worked at meeting those expectations, I still do. I am not perfect, but I am trying to be the woman God created me to be.  I don't believe that God created me to be harsh and ill tempered.  That's not love.  But love is gentle.  And that is what I am going to work on this year.  My One Word for 2015.......


Already, 7 days into 2015, my One Word: Gentle, keeps ringing in my ears.  When my tween pushes my buttons or my fourth graders are disobedient, I will be gentle.When friends or coworkers do something I don't agree with, I will be gentle.  When family or strangers cross me in a unbecoming manner, I will be gentle.  When I am sleep deprived, aggravated, or just plan eggy, I will be gentle.

One Word: Gentle.

What about you, Friend, what is your One Word for 2015?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by. I hope in some way I have blessed you. I look forward to reading your comment. I may not always get the chance to respond, but I do read every comment.