Saturday, November 10, 2012

Tour of Duty Bible Study: Chapters 2 and 3

A little warning...this post started out as planned and then got a little soap boxy and off track. Proceed with caution!

I am still taking part in the Tour of Duty Bible Study.  I have been a little behind this week, but am caught up for now.  If you would like to get in on the conversations, you can click HERE.

These chapters reminded me that life is full of surprises (detours).  We have a choice in how we can react to the unexpected, to our fears.  The best way to react is to lean on God. 

The first question Sara asked was what are some of your What If questions.  We all have them. We all worry about our Soldiers. We worry about their safe return. We worry how we each might change.  The thing to do, however, is to turn them over to God.  Wednesday night during church, one of the verses we talked about was Mark 11:24, Therefore I say unto you, whatever things you desire, when you pray, believe that you will receive them, and you shall have them. That verse really spoke to me.  When Colin and I talked about some of his worries with deployment, I shared this verse with him and reminded him that God hears us. 

And with this discussion, I stop to think about the news story I heard this morning. I won't name names, but a certain high official resigned a position citing a certain reason, and some guy that was interviewed basically blamed the government/military for this official's problem.  I'm sorry, but we make our own choices.  We all face things where we have to make a choice.  No one can make that choice for us.  Had this official turned to God with whatever caused him to be in this situation, it may have turned out differently.  George Jones sings a song called Choices. He sings of the good and bad choices he has made and that he will live and die with those choses. There is no one to blame but himself. 

So what am I saying?  We need to lean on God. We need to trust him.  We need to let him guide us. We need make choices that are pleasing to him.  We have always have a choice. Let us choose God. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by. I hope in some way I have blessed you. I look forward to reading your comment. I may not always get the chance to respond, but I do read every comment.