Sunday, November 25, 2012

In Which I Admit I Don't Witness Like I Should

I don't witness like I should.

I'm not like Paul at all.

During our Sunday School class, we talked about how Paul took the time to get to know the Athenians (he found their statue in honor of an unknown god).  He went to where they were, the synagogues and the marketplace.  And he confronted them, flat out called them ignorant.

We can talk about how Paul was an amazing man, but really, he was nothing without God.

Why then do I fear witnessing to others?

I too am nothing without God.  He tells us that He has not given us a spirit of fear. Why then be afraid to witness?

You know, there are people that live on my street that I have never spoken too. I would be willing to bet that my family is the only family in my neighborhood that goes to church.  Why then have I not reached out to them?

Fear.

I can come up with excuses. 

Fear.
I don't trust my neighbors enough to let them know when we will be out of our home. When I can almost bet that 3 of the 9 houses on my dead in street are up to no good, why would I let them know I will be out of the house 3 times a week during the same amount of time?
They don't talk to us and we don't talk to them.
Fear.

Excuse after excuse. 

The last conversation I had with a neighbor was when I carried her toddler son back to her after he wandered into our yard with no adult supervision. Not a pleasant conversation.

I wave at my neighbors, even the ones I know are up to no good.  We have neighbors that have never even onced waved or nodded to acknowledge us.

At work, I know that most of the people I work with were raised in church, go to church regularly, or went to church once.  I know that one coworker is of a totally different faith, the Bahia faith. I have invited my coworkers to church.  Some of us have had deep meaningful conversations, yet, I couldn't tell you if some of my closest coworkers are actually saved.

Its sad. I know. 

I like to think that I am really good at this writing thing, that my words may bring someone out their in cyperland closer to God. I like to think that I am a good encourager, that my words and actions would show the love of Jesus.  But I know it is my witnessing that needs the work. 

Is teaching Sunday School enough?
Is teaching VBS enough?
Is donating to missions enough?
Is taking my children to church when the doors are open enough?
Is praying for others enough?
Is Bible study enough?

I think I can do more.
I want to do more.

I love God.
Deeply, more than anything.
I love God.

I want to live my life in a way that everyone knows that I love God.
I want to live my life in a way that everyone knows what I stand for.

I stand for Jesus Christ.

I owe everything to Him.

He deserves my very best. Yet, I knowingly don't give Him my very best.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by. I hope in some way I have blessed you. I look forward to reading your comment. I may not always get the chance to respond, but I do read every comment.