Wednesday, March 04, 2015

This is the day that the Lord has made. Now, what are you going to do about it?

My friend Lori challenged me to post a new Bible verse each day for seven days on Facebook.  I gladly accepted the challenge.

For day 1, I posted my favorite verse:

This is the day that the Lord has made! Let us rejoice and be glad in it. 
Psalm 118:24

Each day that God allows us to spend here on earth should be considered a blessing, a true gift.  How we spend that day is up to us.  The thing about God is this.....He doesn't force himself on us.  We have the choice to receive His gifts or not. So, how I spend the day that God has given me is up to no one but me.

I noticed recently during some snow days that I spent quite a bit of time fussing at my kids for not picking up after themselves. A lot of time actually.  It wasn't much fun for me or for them.  I remember thinking, "I've wasted this day yelling at my kids."  I can very easily place the blame on my children. After all, they were being disobedient.  However, I chose to react to their disobedience with anger instead of responding with love.  Yes, my choice.

Tonight, I sit at the kitchen table checking my weather app and Facebook and the local TV station website watching the weather. Our second major winter storm is upon us.  How am I going to react? Am I going to gripe and complain that my flooded yard is about to be covered in ice and snow?  Am I going to be angry because more than likely we are about to add two more days to the end of  the school year and try to teach children in June?  Sure, I can cringe at the thought, but what good does it do me if I choose to become angry or bitter over something that is beyond my control? I could get angry at the Snow Fairy, but it isn't her fault either.

Regardless of what is happening.....a winter storm, a failed Pinterest attempt, low bank account, disobedient children, or my husband not getting me a sausage biscuit when he went to McDonald's this morning....I have the choice on how to react or respond.

A winter storm......be in awe of God's power and enjoy the at home time spent with family. See it as a time to slow down, get caught up on some sleep, and finish that book.

A failed Pinterest attempt......laugh it off. Things could be worse! Do you know how many times I have dropped cakes on the floor???

Low bank account......see it as a blessing that you aren't out spending money on things you don't really need.  Try budgeting.

Disobedient children.....check yourself....are you explaining yourself for them to understand you, is there more going on with your child than what you see on the outside, or are your expectations realistic?  Use this time to practice gentleness and patience.  Show your children what Christian love looks like during times of conflict.

Hubby didn't come through for you with that sausage biscuit.....you didn't need it anyway.  Be thankful because there was more room for that chocolate cake.

These may be silly examples, but if we look closely at some of our behaviors, they are quite childish and silly too. So what about the more serious things in life?

Probably the hardest thing I have ever gone through is my miscarriage.  Carter's 5th birthday is next week, and Carson's 9th is next month.  In between those special days should be Baby's first birthday.  Yes, I should be planning my baby's first birthday party, but I'm not. That's hard people.  But I have a choice....Do I become bitter and angry at God for taking this baby from me?  Do I yell at Him for not allowing me the chance to hold this precious child in my arms and experience life with this child?  Or do I choose to be thankful for the 3 healthy children I get to spend my life with?  Do I choose to praise Him for providing me with a husband and a mother and friends who took care of me on the worst day of my life?

I choose to rejoice.

God never promised us that life would be easy.  However, He did promise not to forsake us.  On my darkest days God has been with me.  On the happiest of days, He has been with me.

I choose to rejoice.

Life is a choice.  Do you choose to live it or waste it?

I choose to live it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by. I hope in some way I have blessed you. I look forward to reading your comment. I may not always get the chance to respond, but I do read every comment.