Sunday, March 02, 2014

There's Just Something About that Name

As parents, we put a lot of thought into naming our children.  We consider family names along with names that we just like.  As a teacher, it gets a little tricky.  You don't want your child to have the same name as the kid that you have to call down a million times a day.

Names mean something to us.  They are special. My children have first names that are family names and middle names that we liked.  They all go by their middle names, but that first name is still special.  I like to remind them often the importance of their names.  Carson, for instance, is named after my grandfather.  He was such a special man to me (always made me feel like I was his favorite even if I wasn't).  But when I look at this picture, I am reminded of my grandfather, not just because Carson is named after him, but because of his mannerisms.

With a name, there comes an expectation. An expectation of character and performance.  In the Bible, there are so many instances where a child was named based on the expectation that was set for that child or based on the circumstances surrounding the child's birth.

But the name above all names: Jesus.  That name, saying it, hearing it, reading it, singing it, that name just does something to my soul.  There is such power in the name of Jesus. This morning in church as we sang There's Just Something About that Name, my heart softened, goosebumps spread across my body, tears filled my eyes, Jesus was felt in my soul.  My whole being just opened up to his holiness, his awesomeness, his glory, and his power.  There is nothing better than feeling the presence of the one true King.

Take a moment today to soak yourself in his presence.  Let his glory fill your soul and feel the power in his name.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by. I hope in some way I have blessed you. I look forward to reading your comment. I may not always get the chance to respond, but I do read every comment.