Saturday, March 22, 2014

Ruining My Witness


It is so easy to get caught up in gossip.  And sometimes, it seems that the person brings it on herself.  After all, hasn’t this person ever looked in a mirror before leaving the house or heard the words “Humble yourself?” 

So many times in scripture, God talks about our words, our gossiping.  Instead of quoting everything He says, let me just put it this way: God doesn’t like it.

So recently, I had just had enough.  Yes, I talked about this person. Yes, I snickered as she walked by wondering what she had been thinking.  Yes, I gossiped. I admit I even shared pins on Pintrest that aren’t very nice.   But I had enough.  I felt the whole thing had been taken too far, and I wanted out. 

I asked a friend for prayer.  To help me with the situation.  It was stressful trying to avoid the topic of conversation.  I searched Pintrest and underlined scripture to help me find the words to help me with the situation.  Then I came across this:

 
Hmmmm.

Slap in the face. 

What a reminder that the problem isn’t found in other people. The problem is found in me.  I have presented myself as a gossip confidant, so to speak.  God is not amused.  He is disappointed.

Romans 15:2 says, “We should help others do what is right and build them up in the Lord.” Umm, I didn’t do that. I did nothing to build this person up.

Proverbs 20:7 says, “The godly walk with integrity: blessed are their children who follow them.” Umm, I don’t want my children to follow this behavior.  I want them to do what is right. I don't want them to be talked about and made fun of. I don't want people to talk about me and make fun of me.  How about that Golden Rule: Do Unto Others As You Would Have Done Unto You.  Did you know that is found in scripture too?

Now that I have been slapped in the face with this, I will do what Romans 13:12 says, “So remove your dark deeds like dirty clothes, and put on the shining armor of right living.”  I will also keep in mind the words of Psalm 19:14, “May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing to you, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer.”

So to this person, I am not yet humbled enough to say to your face, “I’m sorry. I talked about you behind your back.  I made it “ok” to do so because I blamed you. My excuse was if you didn’t want the attention, you shouldn’t behave the way you do. In fact, you are who you are.  I should know that by now.  I was wrong. I’m sorry.”

To those that I have led to believe the conversations we were having were ok, “I’m sorry.  It was wrong of us. It was wrong of me.  I should not have made you comfortable enough to have those conversations with me.  I did not be the witness I should have been. I am not better than anyone else, but I do have a responsibility to my Lord and Savior.  He has certain expectations of me, and I have let him down.” 

 To those of you that are like me, there is hope for us. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by. I hope in some way I have blessed you. I look forward to reading your comment. I may not always get the chance to respond, but I do read every comment.