Tuesday, June 04, 2013

When He Says He's Sorry

February 6, 2013

"I'm sorry I'm not there."

Those are words that break my heart.

A number of times in the last 12 weeks (3 months, 84 days), I have heard those words from my Soldier.  Each time I have told him to stop saying it.

He has missed so much.

Thanksgiving.
Christmas.
New Year's.
Children's activities.
Church functions.
Sick kids.
He's about to miss two of his children's birthdays.

I know he misses home. Home misses him.

But the last thing I want is for him to be sorry.

I am so proud of my husband.

He wears the uniform of those who love and dedicate themselves to our country. He carries his cross to bring honor and glory to our Father in heaven.  He has made the sacrifice to do what God has called him to do.

He has no reason to be sorry.

For us, here at home, our lives go on.  Children continue to grow. Jobs carry on. The same ol' same ol' keeps on keeping on.  Life doesn't stop for us simply because our husbands are serving overseas.

Wives, I cry out to you.  Support your husbands. Love them.  Honor them.  Don't allow them to say they are sorry for doing the work that God and Country have called them to do.

As I am typing this, I am picturing a scene from Titanic where Kathy Bates is portraying Molly Brown. She says to the women,  "I don't understand a one of you. What's the matter with ya? It's your men out there!"

And wives, those are our men out there. Whether they are on the front lines, on guard duty, serving as Chaplains, or even holding down their civilian jobs at home, those are our men.  They need us. They need us to honor, love, and respect them.  They need to know that while they are away, we are remaining totally dedicated to them and our families.  If they have the slightest doubt of our faithfulness, that affects them in such a tremendous way.  Don't do that your men. 

Growing up, I remember having the Golden Rule plastered in every classroom at school: Do Unto Others As You'd Have Done Unto You

Did you know that is also in the Bible? Luke 6:31 and Matthew 7:12 both tell us to treat others the way we want to be treated. 

I wish so badly that our world would live by that golden rule, those words of God.  And we can. And it can start with us military wives.  We can treat our husbands, our country's Soldiers, the way we want to be treated. 

Let's give our husband's a reason to not say they are sorry they aren't here with us.  Let's allow them be proud of us. Let's honor them by our actions and our words.  Will you do that with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by. I hope in some way I have blessed you. I look forward to reading your comment. I may not always get the chance to respond, but I do read every comment.