Friday, May 31, 2013

Starting Anew

January 2, 2013

This is the first time in 21 years that I have spent New Year's alone.  Jeff and I started dating when I was 13. He was 15. We still hung out some how on New Year's Eve. 

This year was definitely different.

It wasn't all bad.

We were blessed to be able to ring in the new year twice.

The first time Jeff and I were on Skype.  He had been to a little gathering the Soldiers were having.  The maintenance crew even built their own ball to drop. After saying a few words at the request of his Soldiers, Jeff made his way to me on Skype.  At midnight, Afghanistan time, we rang in the new year.  We blew each other kisses through the computer screens. 

Later that night, my boys and I were just about to countdown  and celebrate with horns and Welch's sparking white grape juice, when my cell phone rang.  I was shocked to see it was Jeff calling.  He was going to ring in the new year with us at midnight, Kentucky time.  I put him on speaker phone and let the boys yell "Happy New Year" to him and blow their horns.  The call lasted only minutes, but I will cherish it always.

So this year, I start anew.  Alone for the time being. Another day closer to my husband being home. 

I have vowed to SHINE the light of Jesus in all that I do.  What better way to do that than through a deployment???? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by. I hope in some way I have blessed you. I look forward to reading your comment. I may not always get the chance to respond, but I do read every comment.