Thursday, July 19, 2012

Read-A-Thon

Since July 1, children at our church have been participating in a Read-A-Thon to raise money for our local adult literacy center. 

From the 1st to the 15th, they read books and kept a reading log while asking for donations.  Then on Monday, the 12 participants spent 3 1/2 hours at church for what we called a Read In.  They created Use Me books, book marks, learned about church ettiquette, and had time for some more reading. 





Then on Tuesday, we took a field trip to the literacy center.  The children enjoyed a tour of the center and created learner toolkits for the centers "students."  They presented a check to the director and explained what all they have worked on in the process. 





I am so proud of these kids. They worked so hard.  These 12 amazing children read 151 books and a combined 44 books of the Bible.  They also raised $403.29. I appreciate Cindy allowing me to be a part of this. I also appreciate Cindy, Holly, Hilarie, and Leslie for helping out. 

On Wednesday, we presented the final project to the church and handed out awards to the top point earners. They earned points based on their reading, donations, and attendance of the other activities.  All of the children recieved a goody bag for participating.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by. I hope in some way I have blessed you. I look forward to reading your comment. I may not always get the chance to respond, but I do read every comment.