A few months ago, we heard rumor that Jeff would be deployed. We started taking "inventory" of some of our commitments, starting backing off from a few, and began to mentally prepare (although you are never prepared). It seemed that others knew what was going on and we didn't. In September, Jeff went for his health assessment/physical. I told him that if all that went well, then he would hear for sure whether or not he would be deploying.
After his health assessment, rumor then turned into written orders. Jeff was going to be deployed.
We told our boys, closest family members, and bosses. I went ahead and took off the days that would lead up to Jeff's deployment date. I started considering the best date to start the Tour of Duty Bible study again. Also, I started reading my When Duty Calls book, courtesy of the North American Missions Board. I wanted to make things as less stressful on all of us as possible (I am not that naive, but I did want to start checklists and preparations for what would be happening within the next month. Oh, and I am the one who read ALL the wedding books and pregnancy books when those life changing events approached).
As we began to prepare for the deployment, we started hearing more rumors that involved Jeff's orders being rescinded. What? I NEVER heard of that! Talk about an emotional rollercoaster! We talked and prayed about it and decided that we would keep preparing for deployment until we got written orders stating Jeff would not be going.
Well, those official orders came. Jeff would not be deployed.
Now, I don't wish my husband away for anything. No, no, no. I do, however, understand being called to do something, and the feeling of disappointment when that is taken away. Jeff felt like this was what he was supposed to do. We have decided, though, that the timing wasn't right. We weren't going to push one way or another, but put our trust in God: if Jeff was supposed to go, he would go. If he wasn't supposed to go, he wouldn't. God was and is in control.
I saw how quickly orders can change. I realize too that we could get new orders tomorrow.
So, we will just wait to see what God has in store for our family. Our trust is in Him.