Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Book Review: Miracles & Moments of Grace

Our military is a very important part of our country. Our service men and women, as well as their families, make sacrifices daily. A part of the military that, honestly, I had never heard of until my husband felt a calling to it is the chaplaincy.  My students and many adults ask me, "What is a chaplain?" My simple answer is "a preacher for the military." However, after reading the book Miracles and Moments of Grace: Inspiring Stories from Military Chaplains by Nancy B. Kennedy, even I am reminded that our chaplains are much more than preachers for the military. They are a reminder of God's love, mercy, and grace.

This book compiles true stories, real experiences from our military chaplains of yesterday and today.  In each story, I saw God at work, whether it was through healing or comfort.

Some of the stories remind us that sometimes it is the little things that make a difference in a soldier's life.  Chaplain Lewis told of one thing he missed most....his "real" fork.  Most of us probably wouldn't give our eating utensils a second thought, but to him it was a big deal. Chaplain Lewis longed to have a metal fork for his meals.  Something as simple as a fork can give comfort to a soldier.

For some soldiers, physical activity can bring relief from some of the stress endured from being in a war zone. Chaplain Sifferd told of how the game of golf drove soldiers to higher morale. Not only did Chaplain Sifferd get involved in ministering to his fellow soldiers through the game but people, businesses, and world famous golfers got involved too.  God not only used golf for soldiers, but also used it bring healing to one soldier's mom after the death of his father.

Some of the stories are simple and fun like these, but others are more serious and heartwrenching.  Take for instance the story of Chaplain Martindale who sat at the bedside of a dying soldier writing letters to his wife and children for him. There are the stories of those that served at Ground Zero and off the coast of tsunami stricken lands. I feel compelled to retell each story, but my words can't do them justice. 

Chaplains serve in such a vast capacity. They are more than preachers of God's word.  They are symbols of His love and mercy. Our chaplains remind those they serve with of the hope found only in Jesus.

Miracles and Moments of Grace is a wonderful book that is sure to touch the hearts of those who read it.



I was given a copy of Miracles and Moments of Grace  by Nancy B. Kennedy by Leafwood Publishers for the purpose of review. I greatly appreciate the opportunity to review this book. 




3 comments:

  1. Natasha,

    Thank you so very much for reviewing my book. I love my chaplains! I pray God's blessings on you and your husband.

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you did an excellent job on the book review. Just enough information to tease the reader to buy it. Good Job Baby Girl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have read "Miracles and Moments of Grace".It truly provided a reassurance that God is out there working amongst us, thru others. Who better than a military chaplain to tell these stories?..and no one better than Nancy Kennedy could aid them in putting these words on paper for all to read and appreciate. What an Excellent book!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by. I hope in some way I have blessed you. I look forward to reading your comment. I may not always get the chance to respond, but I do read every comment.