Sunday, April 19, 2009

The Shack

Several weeks ago after one of our Esther meetings, Hilarie and I sat planning the kids' birthday party when the phone rang. It was our pastor, Dr. Copass. Before getting to the purpose of his call, he asked if I had ever read The Shack by Wm. Paul Young. I answered that I hadn't and he said he had a copy floating around and thought I should read it. The next Monday, my friend Lesley asked me during our planning if I had ever read it. I laughed, "No, but I guess I'm going to!" She was a little shocked at my reaction, so I had to explain to her about my phone call the week before. Lesley brought me her copy and I started reading it while on spring break. I've been working on it for 2 weeks and finally finished it after getting home from church today.


Dr. Copass and Lesley had both reminded me to keep an open mind and to remember the book was fiction. So, I did, and I embarked on an incredible journey.


After reading this book and allowing God to speak to me through it, I've come to better understand that I need to open my eyes and heart to Him in everything I do. Whether I am sitting here blogging, playing with my children, teaching my students, or cleaning my house, God is right there with me. If I listen and watch and have a receptive heart, I will hear Him and I will see Him, I will feel Him and I will know Him. God will reveal Himself to me through my children, Creation, my everyday surroundings. He will reveal Himself to me in a way that He sees fit, in a way that I need. I just have to be open to that. I feel like so many times, I want to feel God close to me or to be able to hear Him, but I don't stop to take it all in, to see if maybe He is and its me that isn't doing my part.


From reading the book, I was reminded that I am not to pass judgement. That whatever has caused me to be bitter or angry, I must hand it over to my Father. I have to remind myself to LET GO AND LET GOD. Sometimes that is so hard to do. Even harder is to forgive. Mack, the guy in the book, had to forgive himself, his father, and the evil man who murdered his daughter. Papa (God in the book) told him that when he was able to forgive, he was handing it all over to Him, allowing Him to be in judgment over what was controlling him. If we really stop to think about it, becoming bitter and allowing that bitterness and unforgiving spirit to control our thoughts and moves is so unhealthy. We are allowing whatever caused that pain to control us. But if we hand it over to God, we can release that pain to him and regain control of our lives.

We all have our own shack. Sometime in our lives, no matter how painful, we must revisit that shack. We have to pour ourselves out and give it to God.

Proverbs 3:5 says, "Trust in the LORD with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding." Deuteronomy 29:29 reminds us “The secret things belong to the LORD our God, but those things which are revealed belong to us." We are not always going to understand our circumstances or why things happen. We do have to know that God will work all things for good for those that love and fear Him.

So, if you get the chance, read The Shack, then come back and leave me a comment. Let me know what you think. Let me know how God spoke to you.

1 comment:

  1. Great book! I think everyone should read it. I loved how God was portrayed; it really gave me a fresh perspective and a renewed appreciation of His sovereignity.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by. I hope in some way I have blessed you. I look forward to reading your comment. I may not always get the chance to respond, but I do read every comment.