Saturday, March 10, 2012

Book Review: From Santa to Sexting

I have just finished reading From Santa to Sexting:Helping Your Child Safely Navigate Middle School and Shape the Choices that Last a Lifetime by Brenda Hunter and Kristen Blair, and I have to say that I am blown away by some of the things I learned and not surprised by other things.

The authors did an amazing job at describing many of the issues that middle schoolers face today, and how we as their parents can help them.  Topics such as bullying, cell phone usage, and social media were covered, along with being the parent, not a friend to our children. The authors stressed the importance of setting rules, being involved, and providing a spiritual background. 

We are reminded from this book that we are the parents. It is our job to set boundaries for our children. We have to be consistent. We have to be aware. We have to sacrifice ourselves for their sake. 

There were some things that I was shocked to learn from this book, the sexual things going on in middle school and the choking games that boys play.  I also learned about the signs of these as well as the signs of cutting and drug use.

This is an eye opening book that I think all parents should read even if their children aren't in middle school yet.  As a fourth grade teacher, I already see students that are involved in some of these behaviors or who are well on their way.  I also know all to well the parents who choose themselves over their children, setting them up for failure because they don't set rules and have consequences for inappropriate behavior. 

I am thankful to Leafwood Publishers for sending a free copy of this book for my honest review.


1 comment:

  1. I would like to read this and have my brother and his wife read this. I know that this part of parenting is coming up too quickly and I need to prepare!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by. I hope in some way I have blessed you. I look forward to reading your comment. I may not always get the chance to respond, but I do read every comment.