Saturday, August 28, 2010

Put a Little Love in Your Heart

Recently, our pastor preached a sermon about forgiveness. The question arose, "Is total forgiveness realistic?"

Recently, I watched the movie Amish Grace about the murders of the Amish school girls several years ago. Forgiveness was the theme woven throughout the movie.

Recently, I heard a song on Total Axxess with Wally. It was Tenth Avenue North's new song "Feels like Losing." Again, forgiveness is the point of this song.

Recently, I've felt led to write this post. I don't want to sound naive or mean or out of touch with reality. I haven't lost a loved one to someone else's hands. I don't know how that feels (I don't want to know), but like everyone, I have been hurt or let down by others along the way.

Forgiveness, for some, is such a touchy subject. I think we can think of a million reasons NOT to forgive someone. Mostly, we may say, "That person does not deserve to be forgiven."

So, I ask, "Is that for us to decide?" My answer is, "No."

There are probably people that think we should not be forgiven for things we have done, but again, that is not for them to decide.

God is the ultimate judge of us all. Regardless of the sin, He is the one to judge our actions for all eternity. God chose to send his son for us, to cover the cost of our sins, to forgive us of our sins so that we may not be apart from him.

I think, regardless of what has happened, we have to keep that fact in mind when we choose not to forgive someone.

Yes, forgiveness is a choice. For most, it is not automatic, even in the smallest instances. It is something we have to work toward.

I have seen firsthand what choosing not to forgive can do to people.

What about the child who is stuck in the middle of divorced parents who always want to "one up" the other? One of the parents has so much bitterness for whatever reason (even though that person has unconfessed sin) toward the other person that the parent lies to the child just to hurt the other parent. What is that going to do to this child? What will happen when the child finds out what this parent has been lying about?

What about the families that are angry over money they failed to inherit after a loved one dies, so they avoid other family members? They start missing out on bits and pieces of others lives because they try to avoid others.

When we choose not to forgive, we open our hearts to bitterness and hatred.

One of the Amish women from the movie I watched was upset with her husband for going to the home of the widow of the man who killed the girls. She could not understand how he could offer his forgiveness. His response, "God commands it." She vowed to never forgive and her younger daughter said she hated that man as well. The father asked how that hatred made her feel and she said terrible.

Isn't that the truth, though? When we harbor hatred, we continue to feel terrible. The hatred and bitterness do nothing but destroy us and then "oozes" (for lack of a better word), into the lives of others, eating away at their lives as well.

The lyrics of "Feels like Losing," say it simply enough. "God give me the grace to forgive because I feel like I'm the one losing."

Our first instinct is to NOT FORGIVE, but with God's grace and our choice, forgiveness can be a reality.

Now, I'm not saying you have to go and be best friends with the person. In fact, this person you need to forgive may be dead or not even know that you have been hurt by them. Bro. Copass made it clear that just because you forgive someone doesn't always mean you have to tell them. Sometimes, telling them can open up another can of worms!

What I am saying is that the act of forgiveness can be so beneficial to you and others around your.

Like one of the mothers in the movie, you may have to forgive that person every 10 minutes, but making that choice to forgive is a necessary choice.

If we put a little love in our hearts, hatred and bitterness will have no room to move in.

I ask you to search yourselves. Search for any unconfessed sin you may have and lay it at the foot of the cross and ask for the forgiveness you (and I) do not deserve. Then forgive those who have heart you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by. I hope in some way I have blessed you. I look forward to reading your comment. I may not always get the chance to respond, but I do read every comment.