Friday, January 30, 2009

Self Image

Last night as I was reading about Vashti, I couldn't help imagine how beautiful she must have been. Xerxes, I'm sure, was probably very handsome. However, the question was asked, "Do you agree that women notice the beauty of other women more than men?" I had to agree. Satan has filled us with insecurities. Our self image is probably one of those biggies.

Just look at the media. We are pressured to look like these models and actresses. I'm sorry, but that isn't real world. BTW, I think Jessica Simpson looks great! The everyday woman doesn't have personal trainers. We have real jobs, kids who don't eat, sleep, or clean up after themselves (because they are allergic to cleaning). We don't pay people to raise our kids and clean our homes and drive us around. We live in the real world where you keep your baby fat plus that of your kids. So, don't make me feel like I have to look like this size 2 celebrity. As I tell my kids, "Happen not gonna!" I'm sure I haven't heard for the last time, "Mama, those pants make your butt look fat."

Don't get me wrong, I do want to look nice. I want to feel good. I want my husband to think I look good. Yes, I like my sweats and jeans. I like no makeup and ponytail days. Sometimes that touch of glittery eyeshadow with a new outfit just pumps me up.

One of my devotions this morning talked about how we need to be reminded that our bodies are a temple for the Holy Spirit. Our bodies are in the shape they are in because of what we have done to them: not exercising, not eating good, drinking alcohol, smoking, not resting, running ourselves ragged. Now, I don't think we should all run out and try to look like supermodels, I think we just need to take time for ourselves to stay healthy. God gave us these bodies, if but for a little while, and we should take care of them. Remember.....He made everything glorious. What does that make me?

1 comment:

  1. I am so excited about our study!! Can't wait to meet your friends and learn together!! :o)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by. I hope in some way I have blessed you. I look forward to reading your comment. I may not always get the chance to respond, but I do read every comment.