Friday, April 10, 2015

Five Minute Friday: Relief

This morning, I checked Facebook before I ever rolled out of bed. An acquaintance of mine had posted one of those Timehop photos of her and her husband at the airport the day he was deployed 7 years ago.  It took me back to the day I took my husband to the airport for his deployment.

My chest hurt.

My heart raised.

I couldn't breathe.

I couldn't talk for fear of crying. I had promised myself I wouldn't cry.  I would be strong for him, our children, and his parents.

It was hard.

The months he spent away were very difficult.  Especially the night we were Skyping and his compound came under attack.  There are no words to describe that feeling.

We prayed and prayed and prayed.

Then one night at 1am, he called me and told me he had just landed in Bangor, Maine.  What relief that brought! I could breathe a little easier.

The best moment of all.....being reunited at the same airport where months earlier, I was filled with anxiety and fear.  I no longer had lingering fears of his safety. He was back in my arms, back with our family, back where he belonged.  The relief that comes with holding your Soldier for the first time after war.....well, there's no words for that either.  The tears come.  The praises for God's provision come.  The thankfulness.  It's all overwhelming.


Thank you for stopping by on the Friday.  I would like to add this final thought even though my five minutes are up....Jesus was the source of our strength through this deployment.  I got so many comments of, "How do you do it?"  The truth of the matter is, I didn't. Jesus did.  I don't get through one day of my life with Him.  All too often people look for relief elsewhere....gambling, alcohol, retail therapy.....but true relief comes from Christ.  We were never promised an easy life, but Jesus promised He would always be with us.


Be sure to stop by www.katemotaung.com to read some inspiring thoughts from some other writers.  Happy Friday!

1 comment:

  1. What a great post, Natasha! And a great relief as well. It always felt like I was holding my breath when my 3 kids were all deployed. Holding my breath until the phone call came that they were back on American soil. And then the tears fell. I have a friend who tells me I am a different person when my kids are deployed. Well, yeah! So grateful for your family's service and thank you for sharing the difficulties we all go through during those long separations.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by. I hope in some way I have blessed you. I look forward to reading your comment. I may not always get the chance to respond, but I do read every comment.