Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Book Review: Heaven is for Real

Recently, my friend Glenda, who also happens to be our pastor's wife, recommended a book to me. The book is Heaven is for Real by Todd Burpo. 



Glenda wanted me to read it because it reminded her of my oldest son.

When Glenda gave me the book yesterday, I started reading it while the kids were having recreation during VBS.  I didn't want to stop reading to take them back in. I read all evening, making myself put it away after midnight and finished up moments ago.

This book touched my heart.

The book is about a little boy who becomes very ill. A misdiagnosis causes poison to leak into his body and the child is almost to the point of death.  His father, a pastor, and mother fear they have made the mistake of trusting the doctors and the mistake may cost them the life of their son.  Prayers were answered and Colton survived.  In the months to come, Colton gives clues that he had gone to heaven for "3 minutes."  He vividly describes things he saw that scripture gives in details that many adults don't understand.  The only explaination Heaven is for real and Colton had been there!

The author shares almost losing his son, the anger he felt toward God, and being restored by having prayers answered through this humbling experience. This book reminds us to have a childlike faith so that we can know God intimately and experience the blessings of his promises. 

I highly recommend this book.  It is touching, heart wrenching, cute, and simply amazing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by. I hope in some way I have blessed you. I look forward to reading your comment. I may not always get the chance to respond, but I do read every comment.